This weekend, we tried an amazing recipe for pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing. We shared them with family and friends and received RAVE reviews. Here’s the recipe:
|PREP TIME||15 Min|
|COOK TIME||30 Min|
|READY IN||45 Min|
|Original recipe yield 2 dozen|
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups white sugar (we used 3/4 cup – didn’t miss it at all)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (we also added some allspice which was a nice touch)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (the recipe didn’t call for it, but we added a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter before putting it in the pan – amazing!)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the pumpkin mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven. Cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Stir in vanilla. Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, beating until mixture is smooth. Spread evenly on top of the cooled bars. Cut into squares.